The Ultimate Guide to the most Popular Road Trip Routes
Traveling serves as a means to discover the many sites and wonders of the world. Although travel by plane is one of the more common ways to explore unchartered territories and far-off lands, many underestimate the explorative and cathartic benefits of taking a road-trip. With a plethora of factors to consider when organizing a road-trip, the task itself can seem daunting indeed.
In the following few paragraphs, we discuss considerations that need to be taken into account when choosing a route and we’ll also talk about some of the most popular road trip routes around the world.
As they say, life’s not about the destination but the journey and such is the case when deciding a road-trip route. Most look upon a final destination when planning a trip, but road trip vacations should be more focused on the scenes and adventures along the way. As such, an ideal route should tailor to your specific needs. Whether you’re looking for excitement, landmarks, scenery or even a route that spans a certain length, you’re sure to find one among the many road-trip recommendations out there. Here’s a listing of some of the world’s most desirable routes:
Thrill-seekers might like:
- Garden Route – South Africa: Along Africa’s southernmost tip, you’ll be able to coast along a 150 mile stretch of road that’s packed with intense activities, including cage diving with sharks, caving, casinos, an interesting monkey world, bungee jumping, and an ostrich ride – sounds awesome, right?
- Guoliang Tunnel Road- China: Believe it or not, six villagers spent a total of six months carving out this amazing 0.8-mile tunnel. Spreading along the mountainside, this quick but scenic ride only takes about 10 minutes to drive through. Be careful when driving, as one wrong move or swerve can have you falling hundreds of feet below so be sure to take advantage of a more than premium car insurance if you plan on embarking on this journey!
Sight- see’ers might like:
- Route 1 – California: Described as the ultimate road-trip, this route runs all the way from Los Angeles to San Francisco. With a spectacular view of the mountains and the water along the coastline, as well as a pit stop in renowned Big Sur, this is a bucket list must for all seekers of nature’s eye candy.
- Icefields Parkway – Canada: This 144mile route allows road trippers to see some of the most gorgeous national parks, valleys, cliffs and pristine water in the world.
Romantics might like:
- Romantic Road – Germany: Winding through authentic medieval towns, castles, and a sprawling wine country, this 220-mile road is said to be one of the most romantic drives in the world for couples.
- Route 66 – United States: This 2,400-mile route traverses 8 states, and leaves you with a love and nostalgia for all things American. From tourist shops and retro gas stations to rundown motels and authentic diners, Route 66 has become a mecca for all road-trip fanatics.
For a listing of the all-time best road-trips routes in the world, visit National Geographic for a full list!
Once you’ve decided on a route that suits you best, you can then focus on the little details that will collectively make this trip one that you’ll never forget.